On-Balance Volume (OBV)
||Iterable[Quote]||Iterable(such as list or an object having
• Need help with pandas.DataFrame?
||int, Optional||Number of periods (
Historical quotes requirements
You must have at least two historical quotes to cover the warmup periods; however, since this is a trendline, more is recommended.
quotes is an
Iterable[Quote] collection of historical price quotes. It should have a consistent frequency (day, hour, minute, etc). See the Guide for more information.
- This method returns a time series of all available indicator values for the
OBVResultsis just a list of
- It always returns the same number of elements as there are in the historical quotes.
- It does not return a single incremental indicator value.
- The first period OBV will have
0value since there’s not enough data to calculate.
||float, Optional||Moving average (SMA) of OBV based on
Warning: absolute values in OBV are somewhat meaningless. Use with caution.
See Utilities and Helpers for more information.
from stock_indicators import indicators # This method is NOT a part of the library. quotes = get_history_from_feed("SPY") # Calculate results = indicators.get_obv(quotes)
About On-Balance Volume (OBV)
Popularized by Joseph Granville, On-balance Volume is a rolling accumulation of volume based on Close price direction. [Discuss]